Do you ever wonder what restaurants are thinking when they send out heaps of french fries on your plate?
It seems like such a waste to me. Last week we took the kids out to eat and this is exactly what happened. Each plate was full of enough fries to feed us all…and we had 6 plates!! Against my husband wishes I kindly asked for a box to bring them home in. Hubby asked what I planned to do with them and I shrugged my shoulders. I figured I would think about it later.
I made good on my promise that I would use them. It took a bit of looking.
Tater Tot Casserole!
My husband was a bit skeptical as to how well it would cook up. I can honestly say I wasn’t sure how well it would cook since usually I use frozen tots. I layered all the ingredients and set the crock pot to low for about 2.5 hours.
It was perfect! Preston seemed to like that it was french fries and the potatoes didn’t fall apart like tots. I did add more cheese than the recipe called for and I am glad I did. It kept the fries from getting too crunchy. You will find the recipe I used below 🙂 Enjoy!
~French Fry Tater Tot Casserole~
- Brown 2 lbs hamb with onion, Worcester sauce, and pepper
- While my hamburger was browning I made my Cream of Chicken soup. Normally one would use Cream of Mushroom but my kids won’t eat it. Either way you can use canned if you prefer. Because of soy, I made my own C of Chix.
- 2T butter melted in pan.
- I added 1/3cup flour mix until flour is moist.
- I then added 1 cup whole milk and 3 cups water. Whisk well to make sure all the flour/butter clumps are gone.
- Then I added 4tsp chicken broth powder (use what is recommended on your label) and stirred well.
- I simmered until it thickened.
- Combine hamburger with half the soup and put in bottom of crock pot
- Add two cans drained french cut green beans on top of hamb
- If you are using my Cream of Chicken simply place half of what is left over the green bean layer. If you are using store bought kind…Thin second can of cream soup with some water and pour about half over the green bean layer
- Top with french fries
- Pour remaining cream soup over top of fries
- Sprinkle 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese over top (I used colby and mozzarella because that is all I had in the freezer. It tasted great.)
- Cover and cook on low for 2.5 hours (don’t overcook)